The Secretariat of the Abidjan Convention and the STRONG High Seas (Strengthening Regional Ocean Governance for the High Seas) project coordinated by the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS) and implemented together with six partners based in Europe, South America, and Africa are organising the Workshop "Opportunities for Strengthening Ocean Governance in the Southeast Pacific", which will take place from 13 to 14 June 2018 in Cali, Colombia. It is part of a series of Dialogue Workshops in the region.
This workshop will be an opportunity to bring together stakeholders within the region to discuss the current status and challenges of global and regional ocean governance, foster Exchange, build new networks, and identify the key interests and challenges in ocean governance faced by the region. With the objective of kicking off the discussions and the work of the STRONG High Seas project in the Southeast Pacific region, this workshop will:
- Present and characterise the current status and challenges of ocean governance in the Southeast Pacific, especially with regard to the conservation and sustainable use of marine biodiversity, with a focus on areas beyond national jurisdiction.
- Identify and define key interests and challenges in ocean governance in the Southeast Pacific, especially with regard to the conservation and sustainable use of marine biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction. Topics to be covered include: a) environmental pressures; b) biodiversity and marine ecosystems; c) socioeconomic costs and benefits; and d) management and governance.
- Prioritise current and future needs for strengthening ocean governance and identify pathways for successfully linking regional needs and opportunities with a global vision of ocean governance.
- Take initial steps towards fostering exchange between relevant actors and stakeholders in the Southeast Pacific. This workshop will provide an opportunity to identify existing networks and discuss options as well as lay the groundwork for new regional platforms for exchange.
- Identify and assess opportunities, challenges, overlaps and gaps in the current legal and institutional framework in the Southeast Pacific. Research undertaken by the STRONG High Seas project will be shared with participants and will provide a basis for discussion.
By invitation only